- Calendar year: A calendar year starts on the first day of January and stops collecting data on the last day of December.
- Fiscal year: A fiscal year begins on any arbitrary date set by the company and ends after one year of the starting date. The financial data is collected during this period.
Commonly used fiscal years are:
- February 1st – January 31st: Used by retail stores.
- October 1st – September 30th: Used by the US federal government.
- June 1st – May 31st: Used by non-profit organizations.