The Role of a Mission Statement in Business
A mission statement is a succinct declaration of a company’s core objectives, aims, and values. This statement expresses the business’s purpose, letting stakeholders know what they’re trying to achieve, and serves as a statement of intent to the outside world. A well-crafted mission statement defines the organization’s identity and serves as a marker that sets it apart from competitors in the marketplace.
A mission statement is the guidepost to decision making: it helps inform day-to-day decisions from budgeting to hiring and provides a focus when a company faces challenge or growth. It outlines the company’s purpose and ambitions, giving guidance to the entire organization and setting the tone for customer interactions. This document also serves to clearly communicate what the company stands for and what it does not stand for.
Crafting an Effective Mission Statement: A Guide
A good mission statement should be:
- Short: a mission statement should be concise, preferably no more than a sentence or two.
- Memorable: clarity and impact are key. Make sure your statement is simple and sticks in people’s minds.
- Inspirational: your mission should be inspiring, motivating and set a high bar for excellence.
- Aligned with your company’s vision: if your vision has changed, ensure that your mission reflects that as well.
When crafting a mission statement, it is important to consider the company’s core values. What are the guiding principles that drive the organization? These values should be embodied in the mission statement and should be clear to everyone within the organization. Lastly, keep the customer in mind: how do you plan to serve them, and how can they trust in the company?
Examples of Powerful Mission Statements
The most memorable mission statements convey a company’s core purpose in a concise and masterful way. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Patagonia: “We’re in business to save our home planet.”
- Amazon: “To be Earth’s most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online.”
- Apple: “To bring the best user experience to its customers through its innovative hardware, software, and services.”